Slide 1 of 30
Best Comedy Series: Community
Most episodes of NBC’s crazytown-bananapants ingenious comedy are named after a hypothetical college course: ”Remedial Chaos Theory,” ”Geography of Global Conflict,” etc. But, really, all of Community’s manically inventive third season, which riffed on Doctor Who, Glee, Law & Order, Ken Burns documentaries, and even eight-bit videogames, could have been called ”Introduction to Pop Culture.” The amazing thing is that none of the referential humor ever overshadows Greendale’s low-achieving study group itself, whose members — and even their more peripheral peers like Fat Neil, Garrett, Magnitude, and, sigh, Starburns — are among the most richly developed characters on TV. A show that’s smart but never smug, Community’s continued existence proves we live in the brightest timeline after all. —Christian Blauvelt
Image Credit: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC
September 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!