Slide 1 of 30
Best Comedy Series: Community
Most episodes of NBC’s crazytown-bananapants ingenious comedy are named after a hypothetical college course: ”Remedial Chaos Theory,” ”Geography of Global Conflict,” etc. But, really, all of Community’s manically inventive third season, which riffed on Doctor Who, Glee, Law & Order, Ken Burns documentaries, and even eight-bit videogames, could have been called ”Introduction to Pop Culture.” The amazing thing is that none of the referential humor ever overshadows Greendale’s low-achieving study group itself, whose members — and even their more peripheral peers like Fat Neil, Garrett, Magnitude, and, sigh, Starburns — are among the most richly developed characters on TV. A show that’s smart but never smug, Community’s continued existence proves we live in the brightest timeline after all. —Christian Blauvelt
Image Credit: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!