Slide 1 of 30
Best Comedy Series: Community
Most episodes of NBC’s crazytown-bananapants ingenious comedy are named after a hypothetical college course: ”Remedial Chaos Theory,” ”Geography of Global Conflict,” etc. But, really, all of Community’s manically inventive third season, which riffed on Doctor Who, Glee, Law & Order, Ken Burns documentaries, and even eight-bit videogames, could have been called ”Introduction to Pop Culture.” The amazing thing is that none of the referential humor ever overshadows Greendale’s low-achieving study group itself, whose members — and even their more peripheral peers like Fat Neil, Garrett, Magnitude, and, sigh, Starburns — are among the most richly developed characters on TV. A show that’s smart but never smug, Community’s continued existence proves we live in the brightest timeline after all. —Christian Blauvelt
Image Credit: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC
September 4 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!