Slide 1 of 10
The Entertainer of the Decade is obviously Harry Potter — a franchise that covers all the cultural bases, selling books, movie tickets and merchandise. Fans whip up butterbeer batches, obsess over John Williams’ iconic score, even listen to ”wizard rock.” College students actually play Quidditch (and when someone comes up with the right jet-propulsion technology, they can play it for real). Millions of people all over the globe watched J.K. Rowling answer questions about Deathly Hallows on television. Unlike anything else, Harry Potter has literally taken over the entire world.
Heck, Harry Potter has actually inspired new entries into the Oxford English Dictionary! Muggle is now an actual, accepted word. If that doesn’t point to influence, I don’t know what does. And unlike the vast majority of names suggested by EW readers for this list, Harry Potter has actually been around (and consistently popular) for the entire decade. —James
November 30 2009 — 1:00 PM EST
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!