Slide 1 of 6
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Tuesdays, 8 p.m., ABC
Leave it to Joss Whedon to co-create a smarter superhero drama, one that geeks out over conventions as often as it skewers them. S.H.I.E.L.D. brings The Avengers’ Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) back from the dead to lead a covert government force that protects mortals from mutants, choreographs exquisite fights to French music, and wages awesomely nerdy debates about whether Thor is a god. When not planning helicopter escapes, the crew is joking about what Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division means to them. ”It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out S.H.I.E.L.D.,” quips Agent Ward (Brett Dalton). Throw in some comic-book jokes and you’ve got the best Marvel caper since that green monster and some beefcake with a hammer saved the city last summer. —Melissa Maerz
Image Credit: Bob D'Amico/ABC
September 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!