Slide 1 of 6
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Tuesdays, 8 p.m., ABC
Leave it to Joss Whedon to co-create a smarter superhero drama, one that geeks out over conventions as often as it skewers them. S.H.I.E.L.D. brings The Avengers’ Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) back from the dead to lead a covert government force that protects mortals from mutants, choreographs exquisite fights to French music, and wages awesomely nerdy debates about whether Thor is a god. When not planning helicopter escapes, the crew is joking about what Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division means to them. ”It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out S.H.I.E.L.D.,” quips Agent Ward (Brett Dalton). Throw in some comic-book jokes and you’ve got the best Marvel caper since that green monster and some beefcake with a hammer saved the city last summer. —Melissa Maerz
Image Credit: Bob D'Amico/ABC
September 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!