Slide 1 of 9
The Mindy Project
Similar Sophomore Series: New Girl
Lesson Learned: Mindy Kaling’s comedy has memorable characters, quippy one-liners, and a will-they-won’t-they arc, but it’s still missing that something that could make it click like its Tuesday night lead-in New Girl. Maybe Mindy Lahiri (Kaling) isn’t likable enough. Maybe the ever-changing main cast stymies its chemistry. Or maybe the revolving door of love interests is too exhausting. Either way, the show needs consistency in tone and in cast, as well as character growth for Mindy beyond a singular trait (her obsession with rom-coms), something New Girl successfully did with Jess in its sophomore outing. —Shirley Li
Image Credit: Autumn de Wilde/NBC
September 17 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!