Slide 1 of 9
The Mindy Project
Similar Sophomore Series: New Girl
Lesson Learned: Mindy Kaling’s comedy has memorable characters, quippy one-liners, and a will-they-won’t-they arc, but it’s still missing that something that could make it click like its Tuesday night lead-in New Girl. Maybe Mindy Lahiri (Kaling) isn’t likable enough. Maybe the ever-changing main cast stymies its chemistry. Or maybe the revolving door of love interests is too exhausting. Either way, the show needs consistency in tone and in cast, as well as character growth for Mindy beyond a singular trait (her obsession with rom-coms), something New Girl successfully did with Jess in its sophomore outing. —Shirley Li
Image Credit: Autumn de Wilde/NBC
September 17 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!