Slide 16 of 26
La La Land (July 15)
The new film from Whiplash wunderkind Damien Chazelle takes place far away from the bloody drumsticks of a grueling New York music conservatory. La La Land, starring Crazy, Stupid, Love comrades Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, is a musical set in modern-day L.A. The title is not intended as snark — as you can tell from this marvelously old-fashioned moment in the film, where we see a musician (Gosling) and a struggling actress (Stone) express their blossoming love for each other via a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers-inspired dance. “There’s an incredible romanticism in L.A. that you don’t always see when you’re stuck in traffic on the 405,” says Chazelle, who shot this scene during a September sunset in Griffith Park. –Joe McGovern
December 30 2015 — 12:01 PM EST
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?