Slide 1 of 20
Simply timeless. Technically the great Otis Redding wrote and released this one first in 1965, but Franklin owned it forevermore as soon as she covered it two years later. Her force-of-nature performance made ”Respect” not only her signature hit, but a defining song for the emerging feminist and civil rights movements.
Image Credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
March 7 2011 — 12:10 PM EST
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday