Slide 1 of 11
False Maria, Metropolis (1927)
The ”grandmother of them all,” as del Toro puts it. Considered one of cinema’s very first androids, the curvy industrialized siren was created by Walter Schulze-Mittendorff for Fritz Lang’s silent sci-fi masterpiece. ”The design fuses the majesty of an Egyptian statue with the beauty of futuristic art-deco lines,” he says. ”It is hypnotically beautiful and terrifying. One of the great film icons of all time.”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
July 29 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!