Slide 1 of 11
False Maria, Metropolis (1927)
The ”grandmother of them all,” as del Toro puts it. Considered one of cinema’s very first androids, the curvy industrialized siren was created by Walter Schulze-Mittendorff for Fritz Lang’s silent sci-fi masterpiece. ”The design fuses the majesty of an Egyptian statue with the beauty of futuristic art-deco lines,” he says. ”It is hypnotically beautiful and terrifying. One of the great film icons of all time.”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
July 29 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!