Slide 1 of 11
False Maria, Metropolis (1927)
The ”grandmother of them all,” as del Toro puts it. Considered one of cinema’s very first androids, the curvy industrialized siren was created by Walter Schulze-Mittendorff for Fritz Lang’s silent sci-fi masterpiece. ”The design fuses the majesty of an Egyptian statue with the beauty of futuristic art-deco lines,” he says. ”It is hypnotically beautiful and terrifying. One of the great film icons of all time.”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!