Slide 1 of 9
Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen)
Many feared that Jennifer Lawrence, the 20-year-old who earned an Oscar nomination for her performance 2010’s harshly beautiful indie Winter’s Bone, was too old, too blond, too tall, too pale, too pretty to play the part of a teenager fighting to the death in a brutal government-ordered competition. And yet by early May 2011, with one intense week of training left before she was due on the North Carolina set she looked every bit as fierce as fans would demand of their Katniss Everdeen. ”I think I just have to stay tan,” she told EW’s Karen Valby of adjusting to her new hair. ”Or I’ll look like the girl from The Ring.”
Image Credit: JEFF RIEDEL FOR EW
March 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!