Slide 1 of 9
Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen)
Many feared that Jennifer Lawrence, the 20-year-old who earned an Oscar nomination for her performance 2010’s harshly beautiful indie Winter’s Bone, was too old, too blond, too tall, too pale, too pretty to play the part of a teenager fighting to the death in a brutal government-ordered competition. And yet by early May 2011, with one intense week of training left before she was due on the North Carolina set she looked every bit as fierce as fans would demand of their Katniss Everdeen. ”I think I just have to stay tan,” she told EW’s Karen Valby of adjusting to her new hair. ”Or I’ll look like the girl from The Ring.”
Image Credit: JEFF RIEDEL FOR EW
March 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!