Slide 1 of 14
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Lauren Bacall’s breakout role paired her with her partner Humphrey Bogart in scenes (and in marriage until his death in 1957). Like many of the best actresses, Bacall turned weakness into a signature strength by pressing her quivering chin to her chest during her screen test with director Howard Hawks, creating an indelible gaze known as ”The Look.” —Lanford Beard
Image Credit: AP
August 12 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!