Slide 1 of 14
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Lauren Bacall’s breakout role paired her with her partner Humphrey Bogart in scenes (and in marriage until his death in 1957). Like many of the best actresses, Bacall turned weakness into a signature strength by pressing her quivering chin to her chest during her screen test with director Howard Hawks, creating an indelible gaze known as ”The Look.” —Lanford Beard
Image Credit: AP
August 12 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!