Slide 1 of 20
While making his sci-fi time travel thriller Looper (out Sept. 28), writer-director Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) constantly had his trusty Leica M6 camera at his side to document the process, often purposefully using super grainy black-and-white film stock to give his shots an evocative, noir-y feel. But it was a mistake in the development process that lent this shot — of star Joseph Gordon-Levitt in make-up designer Kazuhiro Tsuji’s workshop, as the actor went through the process of transforming his face into a younger version of Bruce Willis — its smoky allure. ”I had actually messed up developing it and used some expired film developer,” says Johnson. ”But it gave this kind of beautiful cloudiness to it that I actually really love. This was makeup test number one, the first time we took a look at the makeup and put it up against the life cast of Bruce and saw how we did.”
Image Credit: Rian Johnson
September 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!