Slide 1 of 20
While making his sci-fi time travel thriller Looper (out Sept. 28), writer-director Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) constantly had his trusty Leica M6 camera at his side to document the process, often purposefully using super grainy black-and-white film stock to give his shots an evocative, noir-y feel. But it was a mistake in the development process that lent this shot — of star Joseph Gordon-Levitt in make-up designer Kazuhiro Tsuji’s workshop, as the actor went through the process of transforming his face into a younger version of Bruce Willis — its smoky allure. ”I had actually messed up developing it and used some expired film developer,” says Johnson. ”But it gave this kind of beautiful cloudiness to it that I actually really love. This was makeup test number one, the first time we took a look at the makeup and put it up against the life cast of Bruce and saw how we did.”
Image Credit: Rian Johnson
September 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels