Slide 1 of 13
Hugo ”Hurley” Reyes (Jorge Garcia)
Pre-crash story: Depressed and employed at Mr. Cluck’s Chicken Shack, Hurley played the lottery with a combination of numbers he heard repeated by a fellow mental patient. Although he won $156 million, he considered himself cursed following a series of unfortunate events (dead grandpa, stray meteorite, etc.). He was taking Flight 815 home after visiting Australia to learn about the digits.
Island story: Affable and helpful (he built a golf course to reduce stress), Hurley remained haunted by the numbers. But he also blossomed, finding brief romance with Libby and helping to thwart the Others with a heroic Dharma van ride (Dude!). One of six rescued castaways, Hurley wound up back in a mental home. (Did we mention he talks to the dead?) Ultimately, Jacob prodded him to return to the Island, where he learned he was a candidate to watch over the Island.
Sideways story: Meet the self-described ”luckiest guy in the world,” a happy lottery winner with a Mr. Cluck’s empire. He was approached by Libby, a mental patient who claimed to have known him in ”another life.” When the two finally kissed on a beach, memories of their Island life flooded Hurley’s mind. —Dan Snierson
Image Credit: Mario Perez/ABC
May 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!