Slide 1 of 8
8. Unbreakable (2000)
The Twist: Bruce Willis really is a superhero! Samuel L. Jackson is a supervillain mastermind!
The Gist: Jackson’s Elijah Price is a comic book aficionado who spends most of the movie explaining the rules of superherodom to Bruce Willis’s apparently invulnerable David Dunn. Unbreakable is really a superhero origin story…and the film concludes with the revelation that Price is actually the bad guy to Dunn’s good guy, having caused the train wreck that started the movie.
The Shaking Fist: Audiences were flustered by the final revelation — and the film’s surprisingly stark conclusion. (It’s the exact opposite of The Sixth Sense’s graceful reveal.) But watching Unbreakable again, you can see how Shyamalan perfectly composed the whole movie around the truth of Jackson’s character: It was quite literally hiding in plain sight the whole time. —Darren Franich
May 31 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!