Slide 1 of 15
The holiday season is the gift that keeps giving for comic book artists. From the earliest days of the four-color medium there have been Christmas and Santa Claus covers that nudge sales and cast a spell over collectors. At Marvel Comics, the holiday cover is such a set tradition now that the challenge is to find a concept and composition that feels truly original and not…ummmmm…”re-gifted.” That’s not a problem during other parts of the calendar: Valentine’s Day motifs don’t get much love, for instance, and no one expects an Easter Bunny cover to deliver sales bounce. So, with the season upon us, here’s a selected look back at some of Marvel’s modern history of holiday heroics.
Image Credit: Marvel
December 26 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!