Slide 1 of 15
The holiday season is the gift that keeps giving for comic book artists. From the earliest days of the four-color medium there have been Christmas and Santa Claus covers that nudge sales and cast a spell over collectors. At Marvel Comics, the holiday cover is such a set tradition now that the challenge is to find a concept and composition that feels truly original and not…ummmmm…”re-gifted.” That’s not a problem during other parts of the calendar: Valentine’s Day motifs don’t get much love, for instance, and no one expects an Easter Bunny cover to deliver sales bounce. So, with the season upon us, here’s a selected look back at some of Marvel’s modern history of holiday heroics.
Image Credit: Marvel
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!