Slide 1 of 30
Film Career: Spacey had proven his mettle as a stronghold of film, television, and stage when he broke out with a Oscar-winning supporting turn in 1996’s The Usual Suspects, which followed a deliciously creepy turn in Se7en and preceded a campily villainous role in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. In 1999, Spacey scored the Best Actor Oscar for his anarchic yet empathetic take on suburban ennui in American Beauty.Transition Role: House of Cards, 2013Small-Screen Success: Spacey is sly like a fox (and much more deadly) as ascendant Beltway politician Frank Underwood. Despite originating as a high-risk Netflix original, the role has scored Spacey both Golden Globe and Emmy nods. —Lanford Beard
Image Credit: Nathaniel Bell/Netflix
July 9 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...