Slide 1 of 24
Best Picture: Gravity
The handwringing is over. The narrow race between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave began to widen in Gravity’s favor as voting drew to a close. True, 12 Years a Slave has come on strong this season, resonated deeply with fans, and won many top awards, including the BAFTA. But as I said in EW’s Oscar Odds issue, published last week: 12 Years is heartbreaking, but Gravity is groundbreaking. Most of the voters I spoke to favored Gravity as their No. 1 choice, and it seldom falls below No. 3 for most voters, which favors it under the preferential voting system of the Academy. This is simply what I’m hearing from voters, not a biased call. I loved both and would be happy for either film to win. A tossed coin says it’s 12 Years, though. We’ll see if it’s more accurate than my sources.
WINNER: 12 Years a Slave
January 27 2015 — 2:11 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!