Slide 1 of 24
Best Picture: Gravity
The handwringing is over. The narrow race between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave began to widen in Gravity’s favor as voting drew to a close. True, 12 Years a Slave has come on strong this season, resonated deeply with fans, and won many top awards, including the BAFTA. But as I said in EW’s Oscar Odds issue, published last week: 12 Years is heartbreaking, but Gravity is groundbreaking. Most of the voters I spoke to favored Gravity as their No. 1 choice, and it seldom falls below No. 3 for most voters, which favors it under the preferential voting system of the Academy. This is simply what I’m hearing from voters, not a biased call. I loved both and would be happy for either film to win. A tossed coin says it’s 12 Years, though. We’ll see if it’s more accurate than my sources.
WINNER: 12 Years a Slave
March 2 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!