Slide 1 of 25
25. The Deer Hunter (1978)
Easily the best film made about the psychological cost of America’s involvement in Vietnam, Michael Cimino’s The Deer Hunter also features some of the finest performances of the decade, including stunners by Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, John Cazale, and John Savage. Best of all, though, is Christopher Walken, as a man so shattered by combat that he becomes a zombie-eyed Russian Roulette casualty. A gut-punch of a film. —Chris Nashawaty
Image Credit: Everett Collection
February 22 2015 — 2:56 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!