Slide 1 of 6
A Yankee Guide
Penny Dreadful, Showtime’s new horror drama about an African explorer (Timothy Dalton, middle) who teams up with a clairvoyant (Eva Green) and a Wild West entertainer (Josh Hartnett, right) to find his missing daughter, gave creator John Logan (co-writer of Skyfall, left) a way to revisit classic literary creations we’ve all known and loved (and had nightmares about). ”Sir Malcolm, Vanessa, and Ethan are the fictional spine which come into familiar characters like Dr. Frankenstein, the Creature, Dorian Gray, and vampires,” Logan says.
Hartnett plays an American outsider by design. ”He’s the eyes into this world,” says Logan. ”I wanted the audience to be led into a world that was so bizarre and unfamiliar that they would feel completely unsettled — not only because it’s a different country but [also because] it’s a different time that deals with the supernatural.”
Image Credit: Jonathan Hession/Showtime
May 10 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!