Slide 1 of 6
A Yankee Guide
Penny Dreadful, Showtime’s new horror drama about an African explorer (Timothy Dalton, middle) who teams up with a clairvoyant (Eva Green) and a Wild West entertainer (Josh Hartnett, right) to find his missing daughter, gave creator John Logan (co-writer of Skyfall, left) a way to revisit classic literary creations we’ve all known and loved (and had nightmares about). ”Sir Malcolm, Vanessa, and Ethan are the fictional spine which come into familiar characters like Dr. Frankenstein, the Creature, Dorian Gray, and vampires,” Logan says.
Hartnett plays an American outsider by design. ”He’s the eyes into this world,” says Logan. ”I wanted the audience to be led into a world that was so bizarre and unfamiliar that they would feel completely unsettled — not only because it’s a different country but [also because] it’s a different time that deals with the supernatural.”
Image Credit: Jonathan Hession/Showtime
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!