Slide 1 of 6
A Yankee Guide
Penny Dreadful, Showtime’s new horror drama about an African explorer (Timothy Dalton, middle) who teams up with a clairvoyant (Eva Green) and a Wild West entertainer (Josh Hartnett, right) to find his missing daughter, gave creator John Logan (co-writer of Skyfall, left) a way to revisit classic literary creations we’ve all known and loved (and had nightmares about). ”Sir Malcolm, Vanessa, and Ethan are the fictional spine which come into familiar characters like Dr. Frankenstein, the Creature, Dorian Gray, and vampires,” Logan says.
Hartnett plays an American outsider by design. ”He’s the eyes into this world,” says Logan. ”I wanted the audience to be led into a world that was so bizarre and unfamiliar that they would feel completely unsettled — not only because it’s a different country but [also because] it’s a different time that deals with the supernatural.”
Image Credit: Jonathan Hession/Showtime
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!