Slide 1 of 6
A Yankee Guide
Penny Dreadful, Showtime’s new horror drama about an African explorer (Timothy Dalton, middle) who teams up with a clairvoyant (Eva Green) and a Wild West entertainer (Josh Hartnett, right) to find his missing daughter, gave creator John Logan (co-writer of Skyfall, left) a way to revisit classic literary creations we’ve all known and loved (and had nightmares about). ”Sir Malcolm, Vanessa, and Ethan are the fictional spine which come into familiar characters like Dr. Frankenstein, the Creature, Dorian Gray, and vampires,” Logan says.
Hartnett plays an American outsider by design. ”He’s the eyes into this world,” says Logan. ”I wanted the audience to be led into a world that was so bizarre and unfamiliar that they would feel completely unsettled — not only because it’s a different country but [also because] it’s a different time that deals with the supernatural.”
Image Credit: Jonathan Hession/Showtime
May 10 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!