Slide 1 of 22
THE GOLDEN COMPASS (2007)
Something about an alethiometer and daemon animal companions didn’t quite fly on screen, grossing only $70.1 million domestically. Fans of the Philip Pullman novel were rightly disappointed in Chris Weitz’s adaptation, which cropped an essential, plot-twisting ending concerning orphan Lyra’s best friend and diluted its more sinister, religion-defying Magisterium elements into family-friendly pop soda. The iron-clad bear warriors still shocked and awed us though.—Youyoung Lee
February 5 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!