Slide 1 of 6
Where were you when the Emperor died? It was 30 years ago this month that Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi hit theaters and the years add emotion to this batch of exclusive never-before-published photos from J.W. Rinzler’s upcoming The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
The movie (which opened wide the week after Michael Jackson unleashed a new dance move called the Moonwalk) arrived with an unstated promise of cosmic closure: ”For the Skywalker saga,” the Force told us, ”the circle will be complete.” Well, yes and no: a circle doesn’t really have a start or end, and the Jedi universe (like Swan Lake, the Beatles, or Pride & Prejudice) never leaves.
The Rinzler book hits shelves in October but the Ewok party has already begun; there’s a marathon of Jedi screenings and fan fun-fair scheduled for Saturday (which is May the Fourth) at Hollywood’s historic Egyptian Theatre, site of the Jedi world premiere.
May 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!