Slide 1 of 6
It’s been 20 years since 23-year-old River Phoenix died of a drug overdose outside a West Hollywood club on Halloween morning. He left behind a collection of indelible on-screen performances — including one that remained unfinished and unseen for two decades. Dark Blood sat on a shelf until director George Sluizer, now 81, recovered it and pieced together a version that debuted at the Netherlands Film Festival in 2012. It has its L.A. premiere on Tuesday, Oct. 29, in Santa Monica. Sluizer recently spoke to EW about Phoenix’s last movie.
Image Credit: Cinemavault
October 25 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!