Slide 1 of 24
Keith Richards on the Rolling Stones’ 1972 North American tour, photographed by Ethan Russell
Ethan Russell: ”I tended not to tell people what to do, ever. This is one of my few, what I call ‘made’ pictures. We were on our way to Vancouver and somebody screwed up. Couldn’t fly into Vancouver. Landed on the American side and went through customs and I saw the sign. I called Keith over. So he came over and he did this pose. And then I called Mick over, because I wanted to do Jagger-Richards. And the customs man said, ”Stop right away or I’ll take the film.” I knew [it was a classic shot]. That’s why I stopped!”
Image Credit: Ethan Russell
May 20 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!