Slide 1 of 10
Crystal Pepsi (1993)
Average cost of 30-second spot that year: $850,000
Fumble: Cola for the body-conscious? What could go wrong? The thought was that, if Pepsi’s caramel coloring and caffeine were removed, it’d be a ”healthy” alternative to standard sodas. For the ad, they couple this new twist on an old favorite with ”Right Now,” a zeitgeisty hit by Van Halen in the prime of their Sammy Hagar era. The only problem? Crystal Pepsi clearly tasted terrible.
The final score: Pepsi discontinued production months later, and Crystal Pepsi was a quaint, ”New Coke”-style relic of the past by 1994.
February 1 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!