Slide 1 of 10
Crystal Pepsi (1993)
Average cost of 30-second spot that year: $850,000
Fumble: Cola for the body-conscious? What could go wrong? The thought was that, if Pepsi’s caramel coloring and caffeine were removed, it’d be a ”healthy” alternative to standard sodas. For the ad, they couple this new twist on an old favorite with ”Right Now,” a zeitgeisty hit by Van Halen in the prime of their Sammy Hagar era. The only problem? Crystal Pepsi clearly tasted terrible.
The final score: Pepsi discontinued production months later, and Crystal Pepsi was a quaint, ”New Coke”-style relic of the past by 1994.
February 1 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!