Slide 1 of 10
Crystal Pepsi (1993)
Average cost of 30-second spot that year: $850,000
Fumble: Cola for the body-conscious? What could go wrong? The thought was that, if Pepsi’s caramel coloring and caffeine were removed, it’d be a ”healthy” alternative to standard sodas. For the ad, they couple this new twist on an old favorite with ”Right Now,” a zeitgeisty hit by Van Halen in the prime of their Sammy Hagar era. The only problem? Crystal Pepsi clearly tasted terrible.
The final score: Pepsi discontinued production months later, and Crystal Pepsi was a quaint, ”New Coke”-style relic of the past by 1994.
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!