Slide 1 of 10
Crystal Pepsi (1993)
Average cost of 30-second spot that year: $850,000Fumble: Cola for the body-conscious? What could go wrong? The thought was that, if Pepsi’s caramel coloring and caffeine were removed, it’d be a ”healthy” alternative to standard sodas. For the ad, they couple this new twist on an old favorite with ”Right Now,” a zeitgeisty hit by Van Halen in the prime of their Sammy Hagar era. The only problem? Crystal Pepsi clearly tasted terrible. The final score: Pepsi discontinued production months later, and Crystal Pepsi was a quaint, ”New Coke”-style relic of the past by 1994. Watch it!
February 1 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...