Slide 1 of 10
Crystal Pepsi (1993)
Average cost of 30-second spot that year: $850,000Fumble: Cola for the body-conscious? What could go wrong? The thought was that, if Pepsi’s caramel coloring and caffeine were removed, it’d be a ”healthy” alternative to standard sodas. For the ad, they couple this new twist on an old favorite with ”Right Now,” a zeitgeisty hit by Van Halen in the prime of their Sammy Hagar era. The only problem? Crystal Pepsi clearly tasted terrible. The final score: Pepsi discontinued production months later, and Crystal Pepsi was a quaint, ”New Coke”-style relic of the past by 1994. Watch it!
February 1 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop