Slide 1 of 17
The 1996 That Thing You Do! Premiere
Twenty years ago Tuesday, on October 4, 1996, That Thing You Do! arrived in theaters. Directed and written by Tom Hanks (pictured above with wife Rita Wilson), the flick starred Tom Everett Scott, Liv Tyler, Johnathon Schaech, Steve Zahn, and Ethan Embry, among others, chronicling the rise of a rock band in the ’60s. The cult hit spent about a month in theaters to the tune of $25.8 million nationwide and picked up an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song. In honor of That Thing You Do!’s 20th anniversary, see throwback photos from the movie’s ’90s premiere, ahead.
Image Credit: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage
October 4 2016 — 9:51 AM EDT
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big