Slide 1 of 18
Toronto: Where Oscar fever begins
The Toronto Film Festival likes to think of itself as the official starter of the Oscar race, and while other festivals have attempted to horn in on that honor, it’s difficult to compete with Toronto’s recent track record. Six Best Picture winners in a row, including Argo (pictured) in 2012, screened at Toronto, so it’s no surprise that many of this year’s presumed Academy Award contenders are heading north of the border when the festival begins on Sept. 5. Pundits will be poised to crown this season’s frontrunners — or take the wind out of the sails of movies that don’t deliver. In addition, there are scores of films being unveiled for the first time in the hopes of landing a distributor. All in all, there are nearly 300 movies playing in Toronto. Here are 17 you can’t afford to miss.
Image Credit: Warner Bros
September 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!