Slide 1 of 12
House of the Dead (2003)
Critical reaction: Boll’s first major release — an adaptation of the zombie videogame House of the Dead — turned a healthy profit, but made many critics sick. ”To properly convey the jaw-dropping shoddiness of this videogame-based ‘horror’ ‘movie,’ one must approach what scientists call Absolute Stupid,” wrote EW's Scott Brown, ”a state previously thought to exist only under highly controlled laboratory conditions or at the highest levels of government.”
Boll’s defense: ”Yeah, it is stupid. But what were they expecting from House of the Dead? I came very close to a videogame in the filmmaking process, and I got toasted for it. The funny thing is, a lot of times, years later, people say, ‘Oh, I liked that.’ This is the same guy who bashed it to the ground five years ago and never corrected his opinion.”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
April 11 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!