Slide 1 of 12
Jon Stewart’s Speech, 1997
It was a different era in 1997. The Lewinsky scandal hadn’t yet broken; the economy was booming; and a young comedian named Jon Stewart wouldn’t become host of The Daily Show for another two years. But the brown-haired (!) jokester gave a hint of what was to come with his well-received remarks, gamely imitating Washington insiders and making self-deprecating cracks about how he ended up on the podium. (Apparently, both Rosie O’Donnell and Dennis Miller were unavailable.)
Best line: ”I love Senator Kennedy. I think that guy’s the coolest. Although I do think he has kind of an enormous head. Honestly, it doesn’t even look like a head — it looks more like a container for a head.”
May 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!