Slide 1 of 12
Jon Stewart’s Speech, 1997
It was a different era in 1997. The Lewinsky scandal hadn’t yet broken; the economy was booming; and a young comedian named Jon Stewart wouldn’t become host of The Daily Show for another two years. But the brown-haired (!) jokester gave a hint of what was to come with his well-received remarks, gamely imitating Washington insiders and making self-deprecating cracks about how he ended up on the podium. (Apparently, both Rosie O’Donnell and Dennis Miller were unavailable.)
Best line: ”I love Senator Kennedy. I think that guy’s the coolest. Although I do think he has kind of an enormous head. Honestly, it doesn’t even look like a head — it looks more like a container for a head.”
May 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!