Slide 1 of 13
The Golden Age
The superheroine’s original incarnation might look a little quaint now (the cover shown here is from 1942). Yes, in her secret identity, she worked as a nurse. Yes, as the sole female member of the Justice Society of America, she was made the group’s secretary. Yes, she’s wearing a skirt. But Wonder Woman was invented by controversial feminist theorist William Moulton Marston, and he layered his creation’s mythology with all sorts of intriguing arcana. (Example: Wonder Woman’s friendship with a sorority called the Holliday Girls came under fire from anti-comics crusader Fredric Wertham for promoting lesbian themes. Suffice it to say, nobody was accusing Green Lantern of promoting lesbian themes.)
Image Credit: DC Comics
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover TV 7 minutes ago
'New Yorker' editor David Remnick defends Lena Dunham's 'dog or Jewish boyfriend' piece News 15 minutes ago
WWE Studios boss talks Gene Simmons horror movie deal: 'Expect the unexpected' Movies 24 minutes ago
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!