Slide 1 of 13
The Golden Age
The superheroine’s original incarnation might look a little quaint now (the cover shown here is from 1942). Yes, in her secret identity, she worked as a nurse. Yes, as the sole female member of the Justice Society of America, she was made the group’s secretary. Yes, she’s wearing a skirt. But Wonder Woman was invented by controversial feminist theorist William Moulton Marston, and he layered his creation’s mythology with all sorts of intriguing arcana. (Example: Wonder Woman’s friendship with a sorority called the Holliday Girls came under fire from anti-comics crusader Fredric Wertham for promoting lesbian themes. Suffice it to say, nobody was accusing Green Lantern of promoting lesbian themes.)
Image Credit: DC Comics
July 26 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!