Slide 1 of 13
The Golden Age
The superheroine’s original incarnation might look a little quaint now (the cover shown here is from 1942). Yes, in her secret identity, she worked as a nurse. Yes, as the sole female member of the Justice Society of America, she was made the group’s secretary. Yes, she’s wearing a skirt. But Wonder Woman was invented by controversial feminist theorist William Moulton Marston, and he layered his creation’s mythology with all sorts of intriguing arcana. (Example: Wonder Woman’s friendship with a sorority called the Holliday Girls came under fire from anti-comics crusader Fredric Wertham for promoting lesbian themes. Suffice it to say, nobody was accusing Green Lantern of promoting lesbian themes.)
Image Credit: DC Comics
July 26 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!