American Crime star Regina King won the award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie at the Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday night. It was her first Primetime Emmy Award nomination and first win. “Yay!” King yelled before getting into her acceptance speech.
“My son, Ian, the fact that I get to share this night with you – the best date in the house,” King said to her son, who was sitting in the audience. “I love you.”
Queen Latifah, 45, first auditioned for the lead role in Bessie in 1992.
The film, bouncing around from one writer to the next, didn’t premiere on HBO until May 16 of this year. In the more than two decades that passed, Queen Latifah managed to develop her own entertainment empire and strengthen the similarities between herself and Smith.
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big