After Chelsea Handler’s talk show on E! ended in 2013, the comedian was quickly scooped up by Netflix to produce and star in a new talk show, which will debut this May. (They also signed her on for a four-part docuseries, Chelsea Does, which begins streaming Saturday.) She talked to EW about both the docuseries and what to expect from the talk show, which she says will be anything but standard.
While we wait on Chelsea Handler’s long-promised Netflix talk show, the sharp, irreverent comic gives us Chelsea Does, a series of thoughtful, funny, personal investigations into such topics as marriage, racism, Silicon Valley, and drugs. Each begins with Chelsea chatting up the subject with pals (including famous friends Margaret Cho and Khloé Kardashian), then wittily wanders.
As anyone who’s even the least bit familar with Chelsea Handler knows, the comedian isn’t afraid to ask questions — and that’s the premise of her new Netflix documentary series, Chelsea Does, which features Handler exploring topics like racism and drugs.
Don’t think that Chelsea Handler’s new Netflix show will be anything like her former show, Chelsea Lately.
“It’s not going to look like a late-night talk show,” said the comedian during an appearance on Jason & Jenny… on SiriusXM’s Radio Andy. “The last thing I would ever want to do is a late-night show. We have 15 of them now and I still don’t watch any.”
Handler also said that she and her team will be making the episodes “as live as they can be,” hoping to shoot them the same day that they will air.
Chelsea Handler shows off her serious side in first promo for Netflix documentary series Chelsea Does
Chelsea Handler’s back: Netflix has released a promo for the comedian’s upcoming documentary series, Chelsea Does, that features her reminding everyone who she is — the former host of E!’s Chelsea Lately and a comic whose past work includes Netflix special Uganda Be Kidding Me: Live along with a book of the same name — and showing off her “serious side.” (Spoiler: It’s not actually that serious.)
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- Kim Kardashian West is Wonder Woman in Halloween throwback photo
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop