If Community had a motto it’d probably be something like “More with less.” That is, if it isn’t “Six seasons and a movie” or a quote from Bloodsport or “Weird, Passionate, and Gross” translated into Latin. Actually, there are probably about as many possible mantras for the show as there are classes in Ruffles the Dog’s course load—including Greendale’s own “You’ve already been accepted”—but suffice it to say a certain narrative thriftiness has always been one of the big guns in Harmon & Co.’s arsenal.
When The Office debuted ten years ago, it was not a very good sitcom.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology.
Now that this cult comedy has moved from NBC to Yahoo! (dropping a new episode every week, following the first two, which premiered today), creator Dan Harmon has freed it from the network-television structure he once described this way: There’s the setup, then the funny costumes, then “everyone apologizes…and then a tag where maybe someone has a fern on their head.”
After half a decade of constant cancelation anxiety, Community airs its 98th and 99th episodes today. Well, “airs”: The show has left old-fashioned television behind, and is now a flagship killer app for Yahoo’s new original-content initiative. (Community is to Yahoo as Arrested Development is to Netflix.)
Class is almost in session, Human Beings.
Yahoo Screen has unveiled the first look at Community’s sixth season, the first to air on the streaming service.
Now is a pretty great time for animation—there’s never been a wider array of strange, smart, and subversive cartoons for audiences of all stripes. While not all of them hit it out of the park in 2014—we’re looking at you, Chozen—the good ones were often brilliant, easily on par with the best live-action fare.
A familiar face and a familiar voice are joining Community.
Paget Brewster and Keith David have signed on to the community college comedy, EW has confirmed. The two are expected to appear in all of season 6, which will debut on Yahoo! Screen early next year.
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Barely Lethal' R rating overturned
- 'New Yorker' editor David Remnick defends Lena Dunham's 'dog or Jewish boyfriend' piece
- WWE Studios boss talks Gene Simmons horror movie deal: 'Expect the unexpected'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!