No Emmy Awards love for Beyoncé. Lemonade directors Beyoncé Knowles Carter and Khalil Joseph lost the Emmy for Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special to Thomas Kail and Alex Rudzinski for Grease: Live.
Lemonade was also nominated for Outstanding Variety Special, but it lost to The Late Late Show Carpool Karaoke Primetime Special at last week’s Creative Arts Emmy Awards.
The stars and team behind Grease: Live celebrated the show’s standout musical numbers at Fox Broadcasting Company and Paramount TV’s Grease: Live For Your Consideration Event at the Paramount Studio Lot in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
While all eyes were on Vanessa Hudgens, Keke Palmer, and Julianne Hough’s room-shaking performance during Grease: Live on Sunday night, there was an equally mesmerizing show happening behind the scenes.
Vanessa Hudgens wowed audiences with her performance as Rizzo in Fox’s Grease: Live on Sunday.
And the following day, the actress reacted to the well-deserved praise as well as enormous ratings.
The exuberant joy of Fox’s three-hour telecast of Grease: Live — which was plenty joyous already before Monday morning’s report of massive ratings sent it soaring to live-musical Valhalla—was no doubt marred on Sunday with a few unexpected challenges that tested the mettle of the filmmakers and cast.
On one hand, inclement weather threatened the proceedings with torrential rain and 50 mile-per-hour winds.
Gigi Hadid and Taylor Swift are hopelessly devoted to Grease: Live.
The famous besties watched the show together Sunday night, and Hadid, 20, took to Snapchat to document the duo singing along to Sandy’s famous ballad.
After months of preparation and hype, Grease: Live premiered to positive reviews — read our recap here — and impressive numbers. But just how many people tuned in? What was the most popular song? And how many tweets were there about Boyz II Men?
Read on below for some of the by-the-numbers highlights:
If you missed the extravaganza that was Grease: Live (or just want to relive it), you’re in luck: All the performances are now up on YouTube.
FOX has uploaded all the song and dance numbers from Aaron Tveit, Julianne Hough, Vanessa Hudgens, Keke Palmer, Carly Rae Jepsen, and more, along with behind-the-scenes videos of the making of the musical event.
It’s so hard to say goodbye to Grease: Live, so let’s not and focus on Boyz II Men.
The beloved R&B group – whose 1990s hits became the soundtrack to high school dances around the nation – played Teen Angel(s) on the Fox musical, singing “Beauty School Dropout” to Carly Rae Jepsnen’s Frenchy.
Tweet was the word on Sunday night. As Fox aired its raucous, awe-inspiring live take on Grease – aptly titled Grease: Live! – Twitter was abuzz with praise and jokes, and many celebrities joined in on the fun.
- Jimmy Kimmel's Christmas Wall could get you through the holidays
- John Krasinski to narrate Disney nature film 'Born in China'
- 'Fresh Off the Boat': Rich Blomquist praises the casting, condemns Tamagotchis
- Why Chris Pratt retired his go-to karaoke song
- Meyers' writers take on black Santa in Jokes Seth Can't Tell segment
- Donald Trump is TIME's Person of the Year
- Ryan Adams announces new album and releases first song
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem