Not sold on Maria Bamford’s new Netflix series Lady Dynamite yet? You will be after watching this infomercial for the show, premiering exclusively on EW.
Comedian Maria Bamford goes the absurdist route for her Netflix mockumentary, Lady Dynamite. The 12-part series, co-created by Arrested Development’s Mitch Hurwitz and South Park alum Pam Brady, stars Bamford as a version of herself, also named Maria, whose everyday life is full of wacky characters played by big names like Patton Oswalt and Mira Sorvino, candy-colored sets, surreal asides (example: she occasionally turns into a lamb), and pugs. Plenty of pugs.
Maria Bamford’s fictionalized version of herself doesn’t need her prescriptions to stay sane! Okay, she probably does, but she’s trying a new regimen for keeping her mental health in check in an exclusive new clip from Lady Dynamite: her pugs.
“I don’t need drugs, ‘cus I’ve got pug hugs,” Bamford sings while dumping bottles of pills into her trash can, as her two pugs Blossom and Bert watch on.
Weird women over 40 don’t often get their own comedies. They play the wacky sidekick or the eccentric mother, not the star. That’s part of the reason Lady Dynamite feels so revelatory: Its co-creator and star, Maria Bamford, is a truly weird woman—and a truly original voice.
Maria Bamford is about to explode onto the mainstream comedy scene with her new Netflix series, Lady Dynamite, and now we have our first look at a trailer for the show, premiering May 20 on the popular streaming service.
Maria Bamford’s first series is landing on Netflix in little over a month, and now we have our first look at Lady Dynamite.
Co-created by Arrested Development showrunner Mitchell Hurwitz, the series will follow Maria Bamford’s character as she goes through a mental breakdown. The topic is familiar for Bamford, who’s based much of her successful stand-up career on her personal struggles with maintaining mental health.
Maria Bamford is helming her own Netflix series, and the comedian announced on Tuesday morning that Lady Dynamite will begin streaming on May 20.
Comedian Maria Bamford has already appeared on multiple TV shows – Fresh Off the Boat, Louie, Arrested Development – but now she’s getting her very own: Netflix announced Friday that they’ve ordered a comedy series starring Bamford called Lady Dynamite.
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst explains what makes this season so different
- Carpool Karaoke confession: Madonna made out with Michael Jackson
- Pioneering stand-up comedian Adrianne Tolsch dies at 78
- Jennifer Hudson's 'Hairspray Live!' performance had celebs cheering
- Relive 'Hairspray Live!' with all the best GIFs
- Jennifer Lopez teases 'Bye Bye Birdie,' NBC's next live musical
- Kristin Davis thinks the 'Sex and the City' story is 'not finished'
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot