Chilean auteur Sebastián Silva (Crystal Fairy & the Magical Cactus) stars as Freddy, an expat artist whose cozy life is centered on his boyfriend, Mo (Tunde Adebimpe), and best friend Polly (Kristen Wiig). Polly’s desire to have a child with Freddy and Mo is ostensibly the focus—until a third-act twist suddenly jolts the film out of its sun-dappled Brooklyn bohemia. Subverting expected narratives may have been Silva’s aim all along; still, the turn isn’t just nasty, it’s confounding. B–
Since starring in Bridesmaids and exiting Saturday Night Live as possibly the funniest female cast member in the show’s hallowed history, Kristen Wiig has marched to the beat of her own drummer. Rather then cash in on a Bridemaids sequel or starring in conventional high-concept studio comedies, she branched out and made a series of indies, some known (Friends With Kids, The Skeleton Twins) and some not (Hateship Loveship).
A gay couple asking their straight friend to help in creating a baby for them is a regular enough plot for a Sundance movie. That seems to be the case in Sebastián Silva’s Nasty Baby, starring Silva, Kristen Wiig as the best friend, and TV on the Radio singer Tunde Adebimpe. But the international trailer doesn’t go that way.
- Emma Stone leads a very bad theatre showcase in 'SNL' sketch
- 'SNL' and Emma Stone give Christmas candles a holiday theme song
- 'Saturday Night Live' searches for Hillary Clinton in the woods
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big