The world of Once Upon a Time will soon come back to life—and with plenty of new faces in tow.
ABC has just released an extended synopsis of the show’s upcoming fourth season, which will introduce Frozen’s Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff, as well as Once Upon a Time in Wonderland’s Will Scarlet. (His reunion with Robin Hood should be interesting, since the two didn’t leave each other on the best of terms.)
Wonderlandfans, your wish is close to coming true: The Knave of Hearts is headed to Storybrooke. Actor Michael Socha is expected to join Once Upon a Time as a series regular next season.
The fairy tale’s over. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland is not coming back next season.
This is no surprise given its performance, but ABC confirmed the news Friday. The network actually told fans Thursday night that next week’s episode was the “series finale” instead of “season finale,” but interestingly the news is just really taking off now (when “only” 3.3 million watch a show, guess it takes a while for the news to spread).
If you’re on the fence about a new TV series, it only seems fair to abide by the three-episode rule. Pilots are notoriously unreliable as quality barometers. Second episodes can be even trickier; they’re generally filmed long after those initial episodes have wrapped, and they’re tasked both with delivering additional exposition and giving a general roadmap for where a series is going.
What kind of vibe, exactly, is Once Upon a Time in Wonderland going for? It may still be too early to tell for sure – but as of now, that question is nearly impossible to answer. The show’s tone seems to shift every time a different pair of characters appears onscreen: Alice and her genie’s flashback sequences are straightforward googly-eyed romance. Alice and the Knave play off one another like characters in a classic buddy cop comedy. And when the Red Queen and Jafar get together, the show turns into a hammy scenery-chewing competition.
A new, fantastic point of view! No one to tell us no, or where to go, or that it’s crazy to mash together Aladdin and Alice in Wonderland!
The Wonderland of ABC’s new Once Upon a Time spinoff is a perilous place filled with fire-breathing dragonflies, gooey “mallow marsh” swamps, bloodthirsty CGI beasts, and at least one murderous, well-coiffed queen. (It wouldn’t be a Once spinoff without one of those.)
Want to check out a exclusive scene from the Once Upon a Time in Wonderland premiere that drew fan cheers at Comic-Con this summer?
ABC scored an accidental social media bullseye during Once Upon a Time on Sunday night. A pop-up animated graphic for the show’s Wonderland spin-off featured the White Rabbit making a magic portal in exactly the wrong spot – or the right one. The moment came just after Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) uttered the line: “You’re searching for something powerful enough to vanquish the queen.” Wonderland’s White Rabbit, it seems, has a suggestion.
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw will open up about cancer fight on 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' season finale react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Arrow,' 'Flash' producer Greg Berlanti to helm 'Infinite Horizon' comic adaptation
- 'The D Train' co-directors share secrets on THAT Jack Black, James Marsden scene
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!