Apparently SpongeBob is just as popular now as he was during his Nickelodeon heyday: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water dominated the weekend’s box office with a $56 million opening—considerably more than The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie’s $32 million debut weekend in 2004.
Let’s get this out of the way first: Jeff Bridges is a national treasure who has delivered some of the most memorable performances in the history of cinema. He deserves a lifetime pass for portraying the Dude in The Big Lebowski, and he could play variations on True Grit’s Rooster Cogburn forever. But he has a tendency to make mistakes, especially when it comes to science fiction and fantasy titles.
So it turns out that the guy that might bring down American Sniper is… SpongeBob SquarePants?
'Godzilla,' 'Warcraft,' Tom Cruise, and Batman: Ranking the buzz from the Warner Bros./Legendary program
Saturday is the busiest and buzziest day of Comic-Con, with the major studios taking over the massive Hall H with a varied slate of mega-budget blockbuster hopefuls, genre curios, remakes, cartoons, potential Oscar nominees, and January dumping-ground dreck.
- WATCH: Patrick Wilson, Ian McShane face off in 'The Hollow Point' clip
- 'Days of our Lives' actor Joseph Mascolo dies at 87
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Bruce Campbell previews 'pretty big' season finale
- Shaquille O'Neal lip syncs Beyoncé's 'All Night'
- MSNBC anchor apologizes for saying Fox News held party at Trump hotel
- Reese Witherspoon covers Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on 'Sing' soundtrack
- T.J. Miller arrested on suspicion of battery on car service driver