The Weeknd’s new album, Starboy, had a massive debut, premiering on the Billboard 200 chart at No. 1 the week of its release. The album earned 348,000 equivalent album units, according to Billboard, making the collection the third-biggest debut of the year. No. 1 and 2 go to Drake’s Views and Beyoncé’s Lemonade, respectively.
The Weeknd tapped two of music’s hottest rappers and a familiar crooner for his new album.
The dark R&B singer shared the tracklist for his third record, Starboy, on Thursday, which features Kendrick Lamar, Future, and singer Lana Del Rey. The 18-track effort surpasses the length of his breakout album, last year’s Beauty Behind the Madness (14 songs), and his major-label debut Kiss Land (only 10).
The Weeknd dropped two new songs late Thursday — including one that features electronic outfit Daft Punk — a week before his new album, Starboy, is slated for release.
The Daft Punk collaboration is “I Feel It Comings,” a romantic slow jam that calls to mind the late King of Pop Michael Jackson. “You’ve been scared of love and what it did to you / You don’t have to run, I know what you can do,” he sings on the song’s hook. “Just a simple touch, and it can set you free / We don’t have to rush when you’re alone with me.”
The Weeknd has another visceral entry in his music video canon.
The R&B singer released his most violent video yet — with a viewer discretion warning at the beginning — on Thursday with “False Alarm.” The video is shot from The Weeknd’s first-person perspective, as he’s a part of a crew robbing a bank. Criminals and cops are both shot in the firefight, but The Weeknd is saved by a hostage.
In just over a year since the release of his blockbuster album Beauty Behind the Madness, The Weeknd has shared the first single from his new album — with Daft Punk in tow.
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst explains what makes this season so different
- Carpool Karaoke confession: Madonna made out with Michael Jackson
- Pioneering stand-up comedian Adrianne Tolsch dies at 78
- Jennifer Hudson's 'Hairspray Live!' performance had celebs cheering
- Relive 'Hairspray Live!' with all the best GIFs
- Jennifer Lopez teases 'Bye Bye Birdie,' NBC's next live musical
- Kristin Davis thinks the 'Sex and the City' story is 'not finished'
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot